Monday, January 7, 2008

Knowing when to say, "Enough is Enough"

I have to be honest with you; it is possible to OD on quiche. It isn't pretty and it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. And if it does, you need to brace yourself and be prepared for the aftermath. By December 2007 we had made about 20 quiches in various sizes and had whisked our weight in extra large eggs and heavy cream. Fighting back a wave of nausea tempered by the faintest twinge of resignation, my sous-chef and I declared a temporary hold on all egg-related recipes. Our fridge had been packed to the brim with egg cartons and the mere thought of eggs now turned our stomachs. We couldn't even say the word egg. It was a sad time. The only reasonable thing to do was focus our energies elsewhere. Which we did in earnest for the duration of the year.

I haven't made a quiche since 2007, and it being 2008... I think it's finally time.

No comments: