Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tonno!

Last year, when the Sous Chef and I were on a lengthy trip via treno from Austria to Italia - we quizzed each other on Italian food vocab. "la salsiccia! la pera! il pisello!" I like to think that I came out of that journey a little wiser, as we were recently at a restaurant and I magically conjured up the translation of the Italian word for cuttlefish. The Sous Chef however, fared a little less successfully and came back to the states with only the word for tuna - tonno, etched into his memory. It may have had something to do with the smuggled jar of tonno packed in oil that managed miraculously to survive the transcontinental flight and the subsequent, steaming hot Brooklyn summer. The tonno sat on our shelf for a few months, shunned by my trepidatious notion of food borne illness, but was relished secretly by the Sous Chef as a midnight snack sometime last fall. (I decided to take a pass on that particular edible delight). In honor of that brave jar, I whipped up a fresh and tasty Mediterranean mix of equally good-quality (imported) tuna in olive oil, sliced green olives, flat-leaf parsley, cannellini beans, chopped tomato, avocado, lemon juice, salt & pepper.

1 comment:

Marc said...

If only the chef would embrace the rarified world of the caper! Tuna and capers twas meant to be!

- Sous Chef