Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I am Gravlax, of the Viking Brooklyn Sea

What is gravlax anyway you might ask. Well, it's cured salmon. Not smoked - but dry cured in a highly concentrated salt, sugar and dill mixture (I added a few other things). It has a fresher taste than smoked salmon and has an extremely delicate and buttery texture. The term gravlax, or graavilohi, in Finnish (from whence my relatives originate -- if you don't believe me, check out the photo of my Papa a few posts down. That guy is a Finn) basically means - salmon dug into the ground. grav = grave/ lax = salmon. This is a pretty ancient tradition. Fishermen would salt the salmon and bury it in the sand where it would ferment. Thankfully, there wasn't much fermentation taking place in my temperature regulated refrigerator, nor did I attempt to bury it anywhere other than in a shallow baking dish, however it did cure quite successfully. I feel slightly more authentically Scandinavian now. I even made a traditional mustard sauce.

No comments: