Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thank you, Mark Bittman, for giving me something to do with the stuff already in my fridge

I love it when this happens. I come across a recipe and want to try it out, and by some miracle or stroke of fantastically good luck, I have all of the ingredients in my kitchen already and don't need to go on a pilgrimage to find them! (though to be fair, my little corner grocery store has surprisingly decent produce... but for meats, cheese, fish, spices and nearly everything else I have to trek elsewhere). Mark Bittman, the guy from the New York Times, who has these amusing foodie video clips, made a simple little salad with mint, edamame, olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper and shaved pecorino cheese. I watched this weekend's clip and exclaimed at 10 am, "I can make that without going grocery shopping!" -- and I did -- well, I waited til dinner, but it was so great- I could eat bowls and bowls of this stuff. I would recommend that you buy the pre-shelled edamame beans to save yourself some extra time if you are going to try this at home.

No comments: