Sunday, July 6, 2008

Salmon Ravioli with Pesto Cream Sauce


I can't really speak too highly of basil. It will freshen the dullest of dishes and it always finds its way into my summer salads. This summer, I'm lucky to have 5 varieties growing in a basket on my patio, so I can experiment with the intensity of flavor for each. Last night, I decided to make a quick almond pesto and a light cream sauce to go with the salmon ravioli I had from raffettos. Salmon and pasta are a great combination but it usually involves a fairly heavy cream sauce. I favor a much lighter sauce, almost like a broth with just a touch of cream for depth but not so much that it drowns the poor ravioli. This pesto had a bit more texture than usual, so you could really see the flecks of purple basil and bits of almond as they infused the simple cream, but not creamy sauce.

No comments: