Curried Butternut Squash Risotto with Bok Choy and Yellow Bell Peppers.
Ah, Risotto... The Standby, The Staple, the Culinary Rock of Gibraltar. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
My top 6
1) Mushroom Risotto- made either with fresh or dried mushrooms-- an excellent choice.
2) Lobster Risotto-- homemade lobster stock is key to spoonfuls of bliss.
3) Green Goddess Risotto: pureed herbs-- anything green will do. I like basil and parsley for something fresh.
4) Roasted Garlic Risotto..... the ultimate flavor of love. haha.
5) Pancetta, Onion & Sweet Pea
6) Roasted Butternut Squash -- the caramelized squash lends a sweetness to the risotto that does that sweet/salty thing that people crave-- without having to eat a chocolate covered pretzel or something.
The thing is, risotto is pretty easy to make and the flavor combinations are virtually endless. Making risotto is an especially appealing alternative when your freezer is full of frozen fish fillets from Whole Foods and your refrigerator is barren save for a container of cottage cheese, vacuum-sealed buffalo summer sausage, butternut squash, bag of bok choy, half a pepper and 4 corn tortillas. What's a girl to do?